Photo: C & D Frith
Australia's Wet Tropics
Coppery Brushtail Possum: Trichosurus
It is a marsupial
Dark brown coat above, and a light brown underside.
Long oval ears
Tail is bushy to its tip with a short terminal naked area beneath.
- Being a nocturnal animal, it spends its days in a den in a hollow dead
branch, tree trunk, fallen log or even at times on the ground.
- It is an arboreal animal, climbing trees with its sharp claws
- It travels from tree to tree across the rainforest floor
- The brushtail possum eats a variety of leaves, especially eucalyptus,
supplemented with fruits, buds, bark and meat is eaten if offered.
- The possum communicates by sound and scent. Deep gutteral coughs and sharp hisses
are used during the breeding season. Glands under the chin, on the chest and near the anus
mark territories of particular individuals.
- Best viewing opportunity is the Crater National Park Picnic Area after dark.
- Can also be viewed, with a spotlight, on the Malanda falls Environmental Park
walking paths,The Curtain Fig Tree and along the roadway on Thomas Road.